Located between the groin and the belly-button, the spleen chakra is the second of the seven primary energy centres and is associated with the colour orange.
In Sanskrit, the sacral chakra is called Svadhishthana – the dwelling place of the self. Regarded as the creative energy centre, it is from here that we give birth to passions, ambitions and dreams.
Balancing your spleen chakra
The spleen chakra is the origin of all emotions, but because feelings are not what define us, we need a balanced Svadhishthana so we can cope with any given situation regardless of how we feel.
When your sacral chakra is open and balanced, you feel a sense of self-worth, self-confidence and have the ability to be creative in every aspect of your life. You are open with others and have healthy relationships.
Although you are more sexually responsive, a balanced sacral chakra is not directly related to sexual intercourse, but gives you the ability to channel your sexual energy to serve your best interests.
If your sacral chakra is blocked or out of sync, you will feel over emotional or not emotional at all. You may also lack energy and have negative feelings such as jealousy, fear, hate and disgust.
An overactive second chakra will typically make you obsessed with sex, even to the point where you may manipulate somebody’s emotions to have your wicked way with them.
When closed, you will have poor social skills, a fear of sex and a lack of desire and direction in your life. You will deny yourself pleasure and lose creative instincts.
Awakening the second chakra
So, let’s do a 20-minute meditation to help you awaken and balance your second chakra. The benefits you can expect are personal magnetism, better relationships, a heathy sex life and a better understanding of your emotions.
- Find a comfortable place to sit where you will not be disturbed. But rather than adopting the traditional meditation position sitting with your legs crossed and back straight, sit upright in a chair with the soles of your feet flat to the floor.
- Breathing through your left nostril helps to open the sacral chakra. This type of breathing is called Ida Nadi. Close your right nostril with the forefinger of your right hand and inhale deeply through your left nostril. Do this ten times then breathe through both nostrils and meditate normally.
- Feel the energy of Mother Earth coming in through the soles of your feet, up into your legs, your thighs, your groin, past the root chakra and into the sacral chakra just below the navel. Hold the energy there.
- Now imagine a large orange orb glowing beneath your belly-button. Imagine it growing with more intensity and power. The light that emanates from this energy centre spreads over the rest of your body.
- Imagine these throbs of energy radiating through your body in waves. Feel the warmth. Continue with this feeling for around 15 or 20 minutes, or longer if you wish.
The sacral chakra meditation will help you to be more creative in your everyday life and bring more joy to you and those around you. Enjoy!